What is a Dab Pen?
A dab pen is a vaporizer that looks like a marker. It’s compact and can be carried with you anywhere, perfect for those who enjoy vaping but don’t always have the time or place to do it. Dab pens are more effective than other vape pens as they use an oil atomiser instead of liquid, meaning that you won’t need to use as much product to get the desired effect.
From a convenience point of view, dab pens are very useful. You can use them discreetly and without the fear of getting caught. With a dab pen you’ll be able to easily sneak away with a quick draw and get straight to the business at hand.
Given that most dab pens have replaceable atomisers that require little maintenance and are easy to clean, you will rarely need to spend considerable time cleaning it. Simply wash the atomiser with some isopropyl alcohol (99% solution) or just leave it in the dishwasher after each usage.
How do they work?
For those unfamiliar with the way a dab pen works you will need to know a little bit about how vape pens function. Vape pens use a single element called an atomiser. This is placed in the middle of your vape pen, allowing for vaping using oil instead of e-liquid.
Dab pens tend to have two different types of atomisers: oil and wax.
- Wax atomisers are used for things like shatter or honeycomb.
- Oil atomisers work best for concentrates such as wax concentrates, budder and dry herb blends.
To use a dab pen: you will need to load the concentrate onto a small metal dabber then apply it to the atomiser. The atomiser, which is heated by batteries, uses the material on the dabber to create vapour for you to inhale.
A device that is similar in shape but has a different function is an e-nail, or electronic nail. E-nails are used for dabbing with dry herbs and not oils and concentrates. They use an electric coil in place of an atomiser and are heated using a blowtorch or other type of heat source. Electric coils heat up rapidly, so they reach operating temperature much faster than any other type of nail would.
How to use a Dab Pen
There are many different types of dab pens with varying functions:
- Some dab pens have temperature settings, while others are manually controlled and have no modes.
- Some dab pens are even water-proof, making them perfect for outdoor use.
Here's what you do when you first get your dab pen:
- Remove the metal dabber from the atomiser and store it in a safe place.
- Next, take out the battery charger and any extra atomizers if you have them.
- Charge your batteries for at least two hours as this will ensure they operate at optimal levels.
- Make sure that there is no material or liquid left inside the atomiser. You can use a cotton swab to check this but it is best to do this when you first get the pen.
- Then, take out your dab product and place it on the metal dabber. Ensure that there isn’t any leftover e-liquid or concentrate in the atomiser before you load your dab product.
Once your dab pen has reached operating temperature, begin vaping by doing the following:
- Turn it on by pressing and holding down the firing button. At this point you will be able to select a temperature setting using the five-position dial located at the base of your pen.
- Let your concentrates soak into the heating element on the atomiser for about 10 seconds. This will help to heat up and vaporise your material, letting you get a smoother and more potent hit.
- Then, continue to press and hold the firing button while you inhale slowly.
Once you’ve finished vaping:
- Turn off the dab pen by pressing and holding down the bottom again for a couple of seconds.
- Once this is done you can take out your dabber and replace your atomiser.
- You can then repeat this process for as long as you like.
The best way to clean your dab pen is to use an alcohol solution, preferably one containing 99% isopropyl alcohol. Simply fill a clean spray bottle with the solution then use a small cotton swab to apply it to your dab pen’s atomiser and metal dabber.
The atomiser should soak up some of the solution, allowing any leftover concentrate or e-liquid to be removed from it. You can also use a cotton swab to remove any residue from the dabber. Once this is done you can let your dab pen air dry for 10 minutes then store it in its case.
When you are finished cleaning your dab pen make sure that every part is completely dry before reassembling it and putting the atomiser back in. Failing to do this could cause damage to your pen and may even compromise its functionality.
Benefits of Using a Dab Pen
Dab pens are perfect for those who like to maintain privacy as they can be easily concealed anywhere. They are also very quick and easy to use, making them perfect for those who like to dab on the go.
Dab pens are typically better than other vape pens because they don’t use liquid, meaning that less material is needed to achieve an optimal high, which can help you save money in a way that other vape pens cannot.
Dab pens are also much lighter than traditional dab rigs and torches, making them perfect for those who want something portable. Lastly, dab pens are very easy to use and maintain as well as being far less expensive than dab rigs.
Once you purchase your Dab Pen, you will also need the glass attachment.
Dab pens are a great way for anyone to dab. We make it easy for you to find the perfect Dab Pen with our useful Dab Pen Guide. Check it out!