What is a vaporizer pen?
A vaporizer pen is a small, portable device that heats a coil to oil, allowing you to inhale the purest form of your cannabis. Vaporizers are perfect for cannabis users who want an easy and quick way to enjoy their cannabis without the overwhelming smoke and smell - all without wasting any product.
Where should I get one?
There are a handful of popular online stores that sell vaporizer pens.
The first vape pen was made in Europe in 2003, and now there is a new one for every occasion. You can find a vaporizer pen to suit your exact needs from high-end units capable of sub-ohm vaping up to low cost vape pens that allow you to carry your vaping device around with you.
Before you throw away your smoking supplies completely we recommend that you read our article on how to make the most of your cannabis by also trying out some essential vapes for wax.
The best way to find out if a vape pen is for you is to learn how to use one. This article will teach you everything you need to know in order for you to get the most out of your new vaporizer pen!
What are the basics?
- Ensure that the charger is power-cord compatible. Some chargers only come with a USB or AC wall connector and not both, so make sure yours works before purchasing.
- Many newer models come with a USB plug as standard, which is great news! They are usually much cheaper than their AC (ancillary) counterparts because they don't require an additional supply of electricity.
- Make sure it's large enough for your material. Foam is very absorbent and will take a lot of filling, so it's important to make sure the chamber is comfortably large enough for your material.
- Check to see if your device can handle dry herbs, or concentrates, as well as waxes.
- Dry herbs and concentrates will both vaporize at varying temperatures, so it's important to make sure that the device you are looking to purchase is compatible with both.
- Make sure your material is ground or finely enough for vaporization. You don't want any excess plant matter in your vaporizer pen otherwise you will end up wasting a lot of money.
- The absence of oil or wax build-up on the heating element from use can mean that it needs cleaning or replacement (depending on your unit). Follow the manufacturer's instructions.
What are the accessories?
There is a wide variety of accessories that you can buy, with some even allowing you to make your own. If you do buy an extra set, then make sure you buy extra batteries so that they are always ready to go!
- A grinder for your material: essential if you're looking to be able to vape waxes or dry herbs. Ideally one with at least two sizes (with teeth) which means it can handle everything in between standard and large shatters
- A filter to help you control the strength of your vaping session. You could also use a grinder to create your own filter by using a fine mesh instead of paper.
- A chamber for your material: you can buy just about anything, but if you're looking at extra vape sizes and a wax storage container is recommended, then this may be an essential purchase.
- A mouthpiece: depending on how you're going to vape, this may be an essential accessory or unnecessary - it's up to you! If you're going to use it for concentrates then the mouthpiece should be strong enough to allow full vaporization without cracking or breaking down under pressure. If you're looking to vaporize dry herbs then a stainless steel mouthpiece is recommended.
- An oil cartridge or cartridge: there are usually two types, but you'll have to get used to the difference between the two:
- Cartridges usually have a small needle inside which can be placed in the liquid when it's loaded and then held down; this will allow you to use your vape pen for waxes and concentrates.
- Oil cartridges are a little different, because they don't have a needle, instead it's just a hole like the one on a traditional oil can and will allow you to use your vape pen for dry herbs and leaf blends, as well as concentrates.
How do you use vaporizer pens?
Vaporizer pens are much more portable than desktop vapes, and should be much easier to use as well. You don't need to know any fancy techniques, and the vaporizer pen should produce vapor quickly so that you can enjoy it right away. Here are the steps for how to use a vape pen:
- Choose your material - smaller amounts for portability or larger amounts for efficiency.
- Fill your chamber with your material.
- Screw the mouthpiece onto the device and gently screw on the battery.
- Push the power button 5 times to turn it on and will begin heating up. Within seconds, you'll be vaping!
- When you're finished vaping, simply pull out the battery and unscrew the mouthpiece from the device before re-attaching it to store for later use.
What are the benefits of using vaporizer pens over smoking?
Vape pens don't burn like cigarettes, so you're not going to be inhaling any harmful smoke - which is great news! Here are some of the other benefits:
- Vaporizer pens can typically give a stronger hit with less vapor than other methods, which means that there isn't as much waste involved. You will find yourself saving money, which is always a positive thing. Even better, you can easily control this and decide what works best for you.
- A vaporizer pen is very portable, which means that you can take it with you wherever you go. There's no worrying about having to find a plug socket or waiting for the battery to charge, because these pens are easy to use and carry.
- You can vape almost anywhere without any worries. Unlike smoking there's no tar or smoke involved, and also unlike smoking vaporizer pens don't leave a bad smell either - so it doesn't matter where you are.
Vaporizer pens have been designed to make it easier for you to use your concentrates and dry herbs.
What's your favorite wax vaporizer? Let us know in the comments!